brewingupbooks

Midnight Addiction

I'm an avid reader and reviewer with an unhealthy addiction to coffee and a love of horses. When I'm not at the barn, I'm curled up with a good book. Over the years, I've developed a bad habit of being unable to put a book down, leading to more than one late night of reading.

Where She Went
Gayle Forman
A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin

The Unseen

The Unseen - Richie Tankersley Cusick Lucy Dennison is mourning the death of her beloved mother. The apartment had already been sold, her belongings packed, and her aunt ready to whisk her away from everything and everyone she has ever known. Lucy struggles with the transition from a busy life in the city to her new life in Pine Ridge, a quiet, remote town where everyone knows everyone else’s business. Lucy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time: walking through a cemetery on the night of a murder. Only Lucy knows exactly what happened that night, and it’s a secret that she struggles to forget. Just as she is assured that the worst has come to pass, her entire world is shattered into a million fragments.

Now I’m not a huge fan of horror anything: movies, books, haunted houses. My most recent experience with such a genre was the horror film, The Woman in Black. I dragged my parents to the movie theater to watch this movie for one reason and one reason only: Daniel Radcliff was in it. I didn’t sleep for a week. So when I found this book on the “Teen Picks” Horror shelf at Barnes and Noble, I was fairly reluctant to purchase it, to say the least. However, the description didn’t sound that bad and, to be completely honest, the covers were pretty fancy:
descriptiondescription
I mean, how fantastic is that? The two covers side by side give you a complete view of the girl’s face. Yes, I realize you’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but nearly every reader will admit to doing something of the sort. After finishing the book last night, I was able to fall asleep. I’m not sure I would classify this book as a true horror novel, because, quite frankly, it wasn’t all that frightening.

There were very suspenseful moments throughout the book that popped up every 50 pages, or so. These twists and turns certainly kept me on my toes, but I was expecting much more with respect to the horror aspect of the book. Cusick wasn’t big into taking a painstakingly long time describing each scene, so I didn’t find myself falling asleep from boredom.

It wasn’t the next Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, but it was a pleasant read. However, I did come away from the book still asking quite a few questions, which is incentive, perhaps, to find a ride to Barnes and Noble and purchase the next book.

Out of the relatively small number of characters, I had some issues with the protagonist, Lucy. She was portrayed as extremely jumpy and insecure, yet her decisions, words, and actions led me to believe she was also fairly gullible. These traits seem a bit contradictory in my opinion. If she was living so cautiously, Lucy wouldn’t automatically believe every word that comes out of anyone else’s mouth. Additionally, she tended to have a very short temper. She snapped at other characters on numerous occasions but would apologize in her next breath. Such a fast change in attitude was unusual.

The 49 pages in between each suspenseful moment were, on the contrary, quite disappointing. I found myself skimming the pages, anxiously anticipating the next unexpected plot twist. Yes, the book was still intriguing and I enjoyed it, I was just hoping for a bit more suspense or action. Several scenes involving one character in particular were fairly cheesy, overdramatic, and unrealistic. I was expecting a bit of teen romance throughout the book and found myself sadly disappointed.

And lastly, the ending of the book. Wow. I never saw that coming. I was waiting for the paragraph that explained it was all some big mistake. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. While I was reading, I was debating whether or not I wanted to invest the time to read the second book in the series. The ending made the decision for me. And now, it’s time for a trip to Barnes and Noble.