brewingupbooks

Midnight Addiction

I'm an avid reader and reviewer with an unhealthy addiction to coffee and a love of horses. When I'm not at the barn, I'm curled up with a good book. Over the years, I've developed a bad habit of being unable to put a book down, leading to more than one late night of reading.

Where She Went
Gayle Forman
A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin

The Queen of Water

The Queen of Water - Laura Resau, MarĂ­a Virginia Farinango This book had a bit of a slow start, but began to pick up after the first 50 pages. The story centers around a 7-year-old indigenous girl named Virginia who is "sold" into slavery by her parents. The plot follows Virginia as she grows up and becomes a prominent young adult. Throughout the course of the novel, Virginia suffers prejudice and abuse from the family she serves.

The prejudice Virginia suffers throughout the book reminds me of the racism portrayed in Harper Lee's novel, To Kill a Mockingbird. Like Tom Robinson, Virginia is shunned by those around her, leading to a low self-esteem and a loss of self confidence.

During the book, there were numerous references to the indigenous and Spanish cultures. While it was interesting to be exposed to a different culture, I feel these references lessened the overall quality of the book at times. Several Spanish phrases were included throughout the text, whose definition was not explained in English. These portions of the book were slightly confusing, but I succeeded in finishing and comprehending the book.

Therefore, I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a quick and easy read.