brewingupbooks

Midnight Addiction

I'm an avid reader and reviewer with an unhealthy addiction to coffee and a love of horses. When I'm not at the barn, I'm curled up with a good book. Over the years, I've developed a bad habit of being unable to put a book down, leading to more than one late night of reading.

Where She Went
Gayle Forman
A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin

Fates

Fates  - Lanie Bross I can't stand this feeling. Whatsoever. The feeling of stopping partway through a book. Giving up. I managed to read 53% of the book before throwing in the towel and admitting defeat. I try to give every book the benefit of the doubt and force myself to read at least 1/2 of every book before putting it down. Evidently this book didn't last very long. Unfortunately, it was a hot mess.

Corinthe was a Fate - until she was exiled to earth for a single foolish mistake. As she struggles to adjust to life on earth, she acquires a new role - that of an executioner. She is responsible for fulfilling destinies, influencing the lives of certain individuals by establishing and breaking relationships, causing death and destruction, and altering the course of history. When one of these destinies, however, goes horribly wrong, Corinthe embarks upon the adventure of a lifetime to correct her mistakes and return safely to her homeland.

The book had a very interesting, original premise. The intriguing summary convinced me to request this book on netgalley. I enjoyed the first two or three chapters, which introduced the characters and the setting, but it went downhill from there. I found fault with quite a few aspects of this book, namely the characters, plot, and writing style.

Corinthe came across as cold and emotionless, making her a bit challenging to relate to. She was driven by the hope of returning home, putting her feelings aside and utterly devoting herself to this goal. Her lack of sympathy was evident even during her interactions with Lucas, the love of her life. She spends the majority of the first 53% of the book attempting to kill him, despite her inexplicable attraction to him. After all, everyone expects to have a knife held to their throat on a first date. Their relationship was stereotypical and dull, particularly in the absence of chemistry. I wouldn't exactly consider it romance, either; it came across as more of a summer fling that wouldn't last more than a few months.

To put it simply, the plot was confusing. Bross established an entirely new universe, composed of many intricate details, including fictitious creatures and locations. Many of these details are not immediately revealed, and some are omitted from the text altogether. Nevertheless, the author launches into a complex storyline with many twists and turns, quickly leaving her baffled readers behind. Because I was unable to follow the storyline, I found this book to be a tedious and frustrating read.

Overall, I wasn't a huge fan of this book, as you can probably gather. From the very beginning, I found it to be a rather disappointing read. The bland characters and confusing plot were ultimately deal breakers for me. It had very few redeeming qualities, ultimately convincing me to stop reading halfway through the book. So while I loved the concept behind the book, I didn't enjoy its execution.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.